Single Parents FAQ

Where can I go for help with medical expenses?

Depending on your financial situation, there are government and private programs available for you to use. If you are pregnant call 1-800-456-8900 for information about the program Health Choice for Pregnant Women. If you need health insurance for yourself go to Maryland Health Connection for assistance.

Where do I go to find an affordable place to live?

Depending on your community support, there may be several options available for you. Some possibilities include: living with a friend or relative, living with your parents or the father of your child's parents, living in a home where you rent a room or basement. Visit HUD.gov for information on government assistance on rent and public housing.

How do I receive financial support from the baby's father?

Legally, the baby's father is responsible for providing child support. Most states have a child support enforcement agency, which will withhold money from his paycheck if he is unwilling to pay. For more information contact the Child Support Enforcements Administration at 1-800-332-6347 or visit Maryland Department of Human Resources.

Where do I get help with childcare and support?

The Maryland Family Network has free services to help parents find good quality childcare. For those that are on a limited income there is a Child Care Subsidy Program which help parents pay for child care while they work, attend school or job training. To learn more go to Maryland Family Network or call 1-877-261-0060.

We are no longer a couple, how do we do this?

"Co-parenting" is when the mother and father work together to raise their child even though they are no longer a couple. It is not always easy but can be done when the focus is on what is good for your child. One resource to visit is Coparenting Guide.

Make an Appointment!